Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I just want to start this by saying that I really miss my BYU ward! Honestly, that ward is probably one of the best things that ever happened to me. The people I met, the fun we had, the memories we made are absolutely incredible. Every person in that ward brought something different. I couldn't help but have a smile on my face when I was with them. And I had the best freaking bishop in the world, let's be honest. My first year was an incredible experience because I had such amazing people to share it with.

Amazing roommates and a fantastic ward? How did I get so lucky?! God must love me :)

I was reading a post on our ward page on facebook though and it really got me thinking. Our bishop is going to have the same ward boundaries as last year, so he'll be bishop for the same buildings and he has asked us what we would tell them if we could. A comment that was made by a wickedly awesome girl, Kelley, was that you can either sink or swim in college, it is the time to figure out who you and who you want to become.
Suddenly I realized what an opportunity I've been given. I'm all about reformation, self discovery, bettering yourself and figuring all of that out. And here I am, in the middle of the perfect time to do that! I have the independence and the ability to explore and figure out exactly who and what I want to be. It almost seems like I have this huge open space in front of me and for the first time, that doesn't scare me. I don't want to turn around, I don't want to stay put, I want to go and frolic! I want to be in it, amongst it, exploring and investigating, choosing things to keep and throwing other things away. 

There is nothing more liberating than the thought that I have the power to be exactly who I want to be. Nothing is holding me back but the walls that I surround myself in.

It seems like I have been focusing on the future so much recently and I've forgotten that what I do now determines if my dreams of the future will be a reality or not. I have to be the kind of person that the kind of person I want to be with will want to be with. I have to develop the traits I'm going to need in the future, now.

Just thinking about this gets me so excited! As I was told recently, it's alright not to be perfect, as long as you are working towards being so. And that's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

It will take literally eternity, but I know I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. :) You're so brilliant, even the brilliant people call you brilliant.

    ReplyDelete