Saturday, October 6, 2012

Nineteen

Today I was just minding my own business, watching General Conference, Saturday morning, no big deal. I was laughing it up with my roommates when the prophet starts talking. At first we weren't listening because he was just welcoming everyone and whatnot, nothing really life-changing.

Wrong.

President Monson, this morning, announced that they were lowering the age that missionaries are allowed to submit their papers and go out into the field. Boys are now allowed to serve at age 18 and girls can go out at 19.

19!!! That's two whole years earlier than they were allowed to before.

Suddenly, my apartment exploded. We all started talking at the same time, freaking. out. Whitney and Kyle, who wanted to go on a mission anyway could all of a sudden go next semester! My other roommates started wondering if this is what they are supposed to do and if they should put in their papers. Everyone around me is talking about how they are going to go on a mission, as early as Christmas.

And then there was me. I knew, as soon as he said that we could go at 19 that, even though it was exciting, it wasn't what I was supposed to do. I was supposed to stay here, do school and go to Romania. I know for a fact that that is what I'm supposed to do, but I was freaking out on all of their behalves.

And then it started sinking in. All of my roommates are leaving, going around the world and I am going to stay here. I'm being left behind.

Not that I'm upset about not going. Quite honestly, I know I am supposed to be here and I'm not even angry at the slightest that I have to stay here. But when I realized that I would be here at BYU without them, I knew that I needed new roommates and that was not okay with me.

These girls mean the world to me, and I'm not really sure how I am going to be able to survive without them. New roommates - great. I love new friends! But it won't be the same and I know I'm going to miss every single one of them.

This change in missionary age changes so much, and it means wonderful things for the members of the church. No longer do the girls have to worry about deciding between getting married and serving a mission because now they can do both easily. Boys don't have to decide about going to school or waiting and going on their mission. Now they can go right out of high school and not have that headache.

Guys, I know it sounds funny or weird or whatever, but I legitimately believe that the Second Coming is on its way. The Lord needs more missionaries, which is why this is happening. Now is the time to be preparing for what is to come and for sharing the Gospel with those around us. I know this is true, and I know that my roommates are doing the right thing, but I am going to miss them.

But they are doing what they need to, and I am doing what I need to. Our paths may be branching apart, but we are doing what's best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment